Friday, October 7, 2016

Columbus Day


Christopher Columbus was an explorer and navigator. He was born in 1451 in the Republic of Genoa, Italy. His first journey to the Atlantic Ocean in the year 1476 nearly killed him. In total, Christopher Columbus had made four trips across the Atlantic Ocean from Spain. These trips occurred in the years; 1492, 1493, 1498 , and 1502.  Determined to find a water route west from Europe and Asia, he found the Americas. It is said that he didn’t really “discover” the New World, because there were already many inhabitants in that area. Although he has been credited to opening up the Americas to European colonization.         
I never truly understood the concept of Columbus Day, honestly. But now that I have researched this holiday, it is only to commemorate. The day he landed in the “New World”, although it is unofficially celebrated in many states. This happened as early as the 18th century, which had surprised me. I do not celebrate this holiday, frankly I may not really see the purpose to. Yes, it may commemorate his landing, But many people have done other things that may even be worth more than this. “ Yay, he landed into the New World. There seem to be inhabitants there!” I may not seem to show respect for this holiday, and I apologize for that. This holiday began to be a federal holiday in 1937, which still amazes me from telling that it was celebrated before. I seem to only remember that Columbus Day was when there was no school that day, it was always an observed day. It all makes sense, as a federal holiday it commemorates an event that was different. As landing into the New World, Christopher Columbus had opened up the Americas to any European colonization.

No comments:

Post a Comment